Common Ethernet network cable are straight and crossover cable. This Ethernet network cable is made of 4 pair high performance cable that consists twisted pair conductors that used for data transmission. Both end of cable is called RJ45 connector.
You usually use straight cable to connect different type of devices. This type of cable will be used most of the time and can be used to:
1) Connect a computer to a switch/hub’s normal port.
2) Connect a computer to a cable/DSL modem’s LAN port.
3) Connect a router’s WAN port to a cable/DSL modem’s LAN port.
4) Connect a router’s LAN port to a switch/hub’s uplink port. (normally used for expanding network)
5) Connect 2 switches/hubs with one of the switch/hub using an uplink port and the other one using normal port.
Sometimes you will use crossover cable, it’s usually used to connect same type of devices. A crossover cable can be used to:
1) Connect 2 computers directly.
2) Connect a router’s LAN port to a switch/hub’s normal port. (normally used for expanding network)
3) Connect 2 switches/hubs by using normal port in both switches/hubs.
Uses of Straight and Crossover Cables